Lawsuits continue to stack up against New Hampshire’s Exeter Hospital over a hepatitis C outbreak that has been linked to its cardiac catheterization lab. Four more cases have of hepatitis C have been reported.
According to reports, there have been 31 cases reported total. According to Jose Montero, state director of public health, there have been 12 additional reports of a hepatitis C strain that does match the other 31 cases.
An investigation into the outbreak began in May following the first reports. Authorities believe the strain started with an employee’s misuse of drugs, but this has not been confirmed. Patients treated at the lab since October 2010 have been asked to get tested.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 13 health care-associated hepatitis C outbreaks between 2008 and 2011, affecting a total of 100 patients. Two of the outbreaks were linked to drug misuse by health care staff.
Hepatitis C is a viral infection that can result in liver disease and other chronic health conditions. About 80 percent of newly infected persons do not have symptoms. The other 20 percent will experience symptoms between 4 and 12 weeks after infection, including abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite and jaundice (a yellowing of the eyes and skin).
Hepatitis C is a serious condition. About 75-80 percent of people with the virus will be chronically infected. These patients are at risk for scarring of the liver, a condition called c irrhosis . This usually develops 20-30 years after infection, resulting in symptoms such as loss of appetite, vomiting blood, fatigue, jaundice, fluid retention, swelling of the belly or legs, problems sleeping and mental disturbances.
If you or someone you love is diagnosed with hepatitis C from a hospital outbreak, you deserve to be compensated for your suffering. To speak with an experienced lawyer who will fight aggressively on your behalf, contact Flood Law Group today.
We offer free case reviews for people affected by this horrible outbreak. Call today and schedule a free review of your case.